Understanding the challenges facing the Indian River Lagoon and St. Lucie River through STEM
By completing STEM based learning modules, students of all ages will gain a greater understanding of the challenges facing the Florida Treasure Coast waterways.
- Complete a literature review and complete a bibliography covering the issues facing the Indian River Lagoon. Compile bibliography in age-based, annotated format.
- Seek out correlations between prominent issues and the science, technology, engineering, and math disciplines.
- Identify experts to collaborate with the design of learning modules.
- Create lesson plans including activities and assessment components.
- Develop marketing plan.
- Develop budget.
- Implement project with local student groups.
I will start with research, both of the issues and of what similar programs are already being implemented locally.
- This issue is emotionally charged on both sides – finding unbiased information and sharing it in an unbiased way will be difficult.
- I don’t currently know if a similar program exists – I believe environmental education is strong in this area, but it focuses on an ecology perspective, but may not be balanced in its scope.
- I will need funding to implement this project with students. I currently do not have any funders or any partners.
This exploration statement is an assignment for the MOOC I am participating in titled Creativity, Innovation, and Change. If you are interested in learning more please visit: https://www.coursera.org/course/cic